A blog on progressive news and politics on both the California and Nevada sides of Lake Tahoe which aims at helping to elect Democrats and Turn Tahoe Blue. The blog is written from Germany by a former German exchange student at George Whittell High School in Zephyr Cove, Nevada.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

My Q&A With Gay Kennedy

Gay Kennedy on why she is running for Nevada State Democratic Party Treasurer. Links to other Q&A on the sidebar:

Question: You are running for Nevada State Democratic Party Treasurer. What makes you want to serve in the State Party leadership?

Answer: I used to be a Republican. About 30 years ago I went to work for a non-profit agency serving older Americans. It was my first experience with what I thought was “the other side”. Reagan was president, and I realized that the Democratic Party was really the party of the American people. Since that time, I have been a staunch supporter of the Party. If you want things to get better, you have to be willing to work for it. I believe my experience, knowledge and dedication will be an asset to the Nevada State Democratic Party and Treasurer would be the best fit for my qualifications.

Question: What has been your experience as a member of the Democratic Party so far? Were you involved in any campaigns or in your local Democratic party?

Answer: I became active in Nevada with the last presidential election. I attended the Caucus in Las Vegas, was a delegate to the State Convention and have served on the State Central Committee since that time. I have assisted in local campaigns, including door to door with the candidates. I was an active member of Team Titus for the recent gubernatorial election. I am also a member of the Red Rock Democratic Club. Prior to moving to Las Vegas, I was active in several campaigns and proposition battles in California. I actively supported the Mondale-Ferraro ticket.

Question: Are you a member of any other organization? If so, how can your experience there translate into working in the State Party leadership?

Answer: I have been a member and state delegate for the National Women’s Political Caucus, NOW, the League of Women Voters and the American Association of University women. I served as Region IX Representative for the National Displaced Homemakers’ Network, and later became Treasurer. I served as Treasurer for the American National Red Cross, Las Vegas Chapter. I served as local Treasurer and President of the Society for Design Administration (professional organization) and was twice elected national Treasurer. I believe my background indicates I know how to be a treasurer.

Question: What do you think needs to be done to improve the situation of the State Party? Or do you think things are currently headed in the right direction?

Answer: We need to be much more united. Not just north and south, but in our willingness to work together to achieve the common goal of electing democrats to office. There seem to be a lot of decisions made that are not known to even the State Central Committee. We must be open and keep the Party members advised. I believe that keeping people advised is the key to acquiring their support. It creates trust, and we must have the trust of the people to succeed.

Question: With the Nevada Caucus coming up will you support a presidential candidate or remain neutral?

Answer: Although I currently have an open mind, I believe we have many good candidates from which to draw. If we want to succeed as a party, we must unite and work for the candidate who is selected at the National Convention. We are the Democratic Party. That says to me that we stand together.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Haftungsausschluss